Elf:Pioneer Theatre Company Quotes-December 2021
- "Directed by Sesame Street's Alan Muraoka, Elf brings out the inner child in the characters, actors, and audience alike."
- Tyler Hinton, BroadwayWorld.com
- "For his PTC directing debut, Alan Muraoka is delightful. Possibly because he comes to direction from the point of view of an actor, or perhaps because of his long-time collaboration with Sesame Street, Muraoka knows just how to enchant his audience. Engaging stage pictures, fantastic transitions, and perfect comedic beats were all deftly handled by Muraoka."
- Alisha Hagey, Front Row Reviewers
South Pacific:Olney Theatre Quotes-Summer 2018
- "Muraoka has teamed up with his Choreographer Darren Lee from the wonderful Olney 2014 production of ONCE ON THIS ISLAND. Muraoka does a masterful job of directing a superb cast and once again Lee demonstrates he is a talented Choreographer…With a list of hit songs, unbelievable voices, great direction, it's a treat to see this great musical presented in the intimate setting of the Olney Theatre. Do not miss it."
- Charles Shubow, BroadwayWorld.com
- "A tidal wave of talent hits beach at Olney Theatre…flawlessly directed by Alan Muraoka"
- Anthony C. Hayes, Baltimore Post Examiner
- "Directed thoughtfully by Alan Muraoka, 'South Pacific' at Olney Theatre Center will keep you engaged and enchanted until the final bow."
- Mark Dreisonstok, MD Theatre Guide
- "Let other productions go for startling innovation; Muraoka trusts the material here and delivers a fine rendition of the South Pacific's many virtues."
- Bob Ashby (DC Metro Theatre Arts)
The Report:Fringe Festival Revue Quotes-Summer 2015
- "Huge kudos to director Alan Muraoka for wringing the best out of his actors and his staging, and… last but not least, here's hoping that the show will move, get booked for a run. It's well worth seeing again and again."
- Julia Polinsky, Theatrescene.com
- "The play unfolds as a mystery story. Director Alan Muraoka plunges the audience into the terror and confusion of inciting disaster… This is a verbal play that asks the audience to lean forward and listen closely, but the theatricality of Muraoka's production holds our attention".- Jason Jacobs, nytheaternow.com
- "Director Alan Muraoka does a splendid job keeping things well-paced and accessible for the audience, despite the numerous characters who are being portrayed, the back-and-forth movement of time, and the layers of information we need to sift through."- Howard Miller, Upstage-downstage.blogspot.com
- "The Report is exceptionally well staged by director Alan Muraoka"- Roark Littlefield, Stagebuddy.com
- "4 STARS! Gripping."- Dana Varinsky, Time Out
- "Director Alan Muraoka marshals the 12-person ensemble through a barrage of overlapping scenes jumping across time and space…Muraoka thrillingly succeeds in not only keeping everything straight, but adding the little details that one would expect from a particularly good mystery novel."- Zachary Stewart, TheaterMania
Once on This Island: Olney Theatre Center Revue Quotes-Spring 2014
-“Once on This Island” at the Olney Theatre Center is a burst of spring, a warm 90-minute fairy tale told to breezy Caribbean rhythms…a light-footed charmer” –Nelson Pressley, The Washington Post
- 5 out of 5 stars “Director Alan Muraoka brings a stroke of genius to this musical with his framework for the production. Setting the opening scene in a storm crisis center, it draws a current emotional connecting bridge to the way a weather event can upend the lives of an island and the importance of telling a story. Muraoka draws together an exceptionally talented group of performers to bring a resplendent jubilance to the stage in this moving tale of compassion and life. –Amanda Gunther, dcmetrotheaterarts.com
- “Veteran theatre director Alan Muraoka…assembled a talented cast and creative team to deliver a tightly-staged, colorful spectacle in which the story showcases the best of humanity but at times presents a dark reality. He uses a Red Cross shelter following the storm as the setting in the present to symbolically remind the audience of the effects of such disasters on the population, which have been all too common in Haiti. These efforts come into play in Once On This Island as the high-voltage performers are clothed in vivid and at times, rather unconventional Caribbean garb while a stunning set provides an attractive and functional backdrop. Add to that the splashy bright pastel lighting and excellent sound design and you have a first-rate production through and through…This well directed and performed production is worthy of the standing ovation it received.” – Steve Charling, mdtheatreguide.com
- “Once On This Island” at the Olney Theatre Center is just plain exceptional…If you've ever watched "Sesame Street" during the last 16 years you'd recognize the Director, Alan Muraoka…And what a Director he is. He has done a masterful job with this production and amazing cast.-Charles Shubow, BroadwayWorld.com
King and I: Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma Revue Quotes-July 2013
-Lyric's “King and I” … makes most other productions I've seen pale by comparison. But what makes this production such a standout is Alan Muraoka's compelling direction. In his hands, this musical theater classic bursts forth in all its Technicolor glory. He appears to have achieved everything on his checklist, from spotlighting the tension that exists between the King and schoolmistress Anna Leonowens, to the subtlest of details in the unfolding of Hammerstein's fascinating narrative.- Rick Rogers : The Oklahoman
-This Lyric Theatre production(The King and I) can be summed up in a single word: stunning. - Rick Rogers : The Oklahoman
-Lyric's staging(of The King and I)is a potent reminder of what can happen when a great cast, a terrific orchestra, an insightful director and a production team approach a classic show with a fresh set of eyes.
The result is something wonderful indeed! - Rick Rogers : The Oklahoman
-All the best elements of theatre align in the current Lyric production of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “The King and I” to provide a magical night at the theatre. The show is visually rich with dazzling costumes and high production values set against the opulent backdrop of the Siam palace, featuring…a terrific ensemble all …masterfully directed by Alan Muraoka. - Pam Gold: Ion Oklahoma
-Director Alan Muraoka’s masterful direction will please the traditionalists and the more adventurous too. A feast of sight and sound, the production is artistically satisfying in every way.- Pam Gold: Ion Oklahoma
-With this production of “The King and I,” Lyric continues to keep its promise to provide Broadway-caliber productions for Oklahoma Audiences. - Pam Gold: Ion Oklahoma
-I can’t remember much about Lyric Theatre’s 1983 presentation of The King and I but I can tell you the 2013 production was absolutely spectacular. –Joan Gilmore: The Journal Record
-I guess I’ll have to go back to my college thesaurus to find enough complimentary and descriptive words to review Lyric’s version of the Rogers & Hammerstein Broadway musical (The King and I). –Joan Gilmore: The Journal Record